Personally, I like almost any beach, but for our family, there is one in South Carolina that we seem to keep finding ourselves - Wild Dunes. It is a low-key family resort on the Isle of Palms, which is about 25 minutes away from Charleston. It has a quiet atmosphere but still offers lots of fun activities for both adults and kids. There are bike trails around the entire neighborhood, lagoons for fishing, two golf courses, lots of tennis courts, kids' day camps, family excursions, a central pavilion with nightly music, ice cream, and other refreshments, and, most importantly, lots of protected beachfront. An added plus is the easy access to wonderful food, shopping, and sightseeing in Charleston. For us, that is an extra special feature since my husband and I were married in that charming southern town :).
We have had several summer vacations in Wild Dunes with our kids and were excited to make it back there this summer along with friends. It never fails that we always leave with lots of great memories and hopeful anticipation of returning soon!
Here are our Top 10 Reasons Why We Love Wild Dunes --(click pictures for full view)
1. Amazing Views from So Many Different Spots within the Resort
|View from Ocean Point home - 2004|
|View from Beach Club Villa - 2006|
|View from Seagrove Villa - 2007|
|View from Grand Pavilion home - 2012|
2. Beautiful Beach for Playing Together
3. Plenty of Room for Flying Kites
4. Family Golf at a Great Rate after 5pm
6. Many Areas for Fishing and Crabbing
|Shem Creek - 2012|
|Shem Creek - 2012|
7. Nightly Music at the Pavilion - and Ice Cream and Bingo and Movies Too
8. Exploring with WD Island Adventures Excursions and Kids Camps
|Capers Island Eco-Tour - 2007|
|Pelican Island Kayak Tour - 2012|
9. Encountering All Kinds of Wildlife
10. Visiting Charleston!
|SC Aquarium - 2004|
|SC Aquarium - 2012|
|Charleston Pineapple Fountain - 2007|
|Swinging on Charleston Waterfront - 2007|
And I Can't End Without Sharing Some of our Favorite Places to Eat --(the list keeps growing every year!)
- On the porch overlooking the ocean!
- Morgan Creek Grill at WD - al fresco seafood overlooking water
- Poe's Tavern in Sullivan's Island - burgers are awesome
- Taco Mamacita in Sullivan's Island - great for a quick snack that's out of the ordinary
- The Lettered Olive at WD - great while kids watch a movie on the lawn
- Station 22 in Sullivan's Island - yummy low-country seafood
- Poogan's Porch in Charleston - love their brunch
- The Vickery in Shem Creek - eclectic menu - used to be in Charleston
- Noisy Oyster in Charleston - lively adult atmosphere in evening
- 82 Queen in Charleston - delicious Charleston classic experience
- Slightly North of Broad in Charleston - nice lunch atmosphere
- Anson's in Charleston - right off the market area, classic cuisine
Hope to See You There Soon!
So glad to see photos from your family's annual trip, Melanie! Looks like you all take advantage of all there is to do here on the Resort and in the area. Thank you for sharing, these!ReplyDelete